Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I hope you're having a good laugh up there.

Last week, after hours on the phone with the women's studies department, I received the good news that I would be a TA for Women's Studies 2801: Activism, Feminism, and Social Justice.

Amazing! I had been hoping to TA a women's studies class since the summer. The idea of discussing feminism with a group of wide-eyed, idealistic, and rabble rousing ladies warmed my cynical journalistic heart of steel. Right before the prospect of pounding the pavement for interviews in -35 weather with no buses flash-froze it back into ice.

I met Mega for coffee at Rooster's, and what happened next can ONLY be explained by God mistaking me for ThePeach. This is exactly the kind of hilarious cosmic joke that would get played on her. Maybe her bangs threw him off and he deflected his Hilarity Ray onto the nearest brunette.

Mega: I finally picked my winter term classes. I'm done all my psych courses, so they're all electives.
GinBucket: Ooo, what are you taking?
Mega: Intro to Spanish...
GinBucket: Oh, cool!
Mega: Some poli sci class...
GinBucket: Sounds good!
Mega: Oh, and you're going to love this one: Activism, Feminism, and Social Justice.
GinBucket: *Screams*
Mega: The Tuesday tutorials conflict with the poli sci class, so I have to switch to a Wednesday one.
GinBucket: *Screams*

This proves it. God hates feminists. The Sarah Palin set was right all along. Tomorrow I am moving to Texas, getting knocked up, and spending the rest of my life changing diapers and reading the bible.

Right after I teach my first tutorials. Which, to add to the cosmic conspiracy theory, are apparently not a problem since the other TA for the class also has a student she knows in her tutorial and was going to ask me to swap marking with her anyway.

I am going to look at this as a practical experiment in non-hierarchical teaching methods. Together, Michelle and I will challenge the patriarchal paradigm that sees the teacher as superiour to student. Barriers will be broken down. Structures will be subverted. It's activism in practice, really.

In fact, it will be so non-hilarious that the Lord in his infinite wisdom will get bored and go back to torturing ThePeach. Knock on wood.

1 comment:

The Peach said...

You know what? I think it MIGHT be the bangs! You're right! It also explains why I haven't fallen on my ass yet outside...god has granted me sure-footedness. What's happening to me? I'm keeping the bangs FOREVER.