Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Carleton's Master of Journalism Program: Not as Terrifying as I Make it Out to Be

A couple of days ago I had a phone conversation with someone who will be starting the MJ program next fall. She'd been following my blog for a while, apparently, and wanted some insider knowledge about what to expect.

Prospective students reading my blog to learn about the program had never occurred to me. In retrospect, though, it makes perfect sense, given my "Carleton's Master of Journalism Program: Kind of Like A..." series of post titles. I just found out that when you google "carleton master of journalism," result #3 is this blog's first post.

Anyway, I can't remember exactly what she said, but she made a comment that was something to this effect:

"Do you even enjoy the program? Because based on your blog, it sounds sort of stressful and terrible."

Yikes, I thought. Stressful and terrible? Stressful, yes. Terrible, no. Was I really giving off the impression that the program was some sort of never-ending hell cycle of sleepless nights and cold calls?

I'm going to say the overall tone of my posts comes out as negative for the same reason the news tends to report the negative. People have an urge to write and read about extremes and things that are out of the ordinary. Nobody wants to hear about the days when I wake up at noon on a Saturday, read the paper, clean my apartment, and maybe do some leisurely marking - for the same reason that nobody wants to read headlines to the effect of People Enjoy Break from Work: Experts Credit the Weekend.

And I don't want to write about them. I get the urge to blog when life is at its craziest, like last Friday.

Anyway, like I said in the last post, I love this program. I really do. In general, I think it has a good balance between the practical and the academic. I've learned so much in the last eight months that it makes my head hurt to think about it.

So please, little prospective MJs, don't get the wrong idea. Don't run away screaming when you get your acceptance letter. The craziness is part of the fun. Mike's Place pints taste best when they're in celebration of a day spent running around the city putting together a same day newscast. I swear.

Also, I don't want to be single-handedly responsible for a decline in applications. Especially when the faculty is reviewing my proposals for funding to go to Malaysia. Eep.

1 comment:

Teghan said...

I think it was your post comparing the MJ program at Carleton to the Hell's Kitchen series on NBC that had me wide-eyed and nervous.

But you have since quelled my concerns. Thanks again for the information on the program.