Sunday, April 5, 2009

The reflection post.

Last Friday many of my classmates reflected on a time when the last day of class was the easiest day of the year. A day when the only reason you showed up was to receive your report card, a rice krispie square, and a pat on the head.

Those days are no longer. Last Friday we had to produce our final TV newscast. My partner and I had to put together the arts and sports reports. I was filming a high school improv tournament until 10:30 the night before, was back on campus by 8:30 to shoot a standup, found out at 9:00 that I had to include twice as much material as I thought I had and reshoot said standup in a better location, then spent the rest of the day frantically editing, filming the unveiling of a sports car, trying to memorize all the arts listings for the weekend, editing more, getting in trouble for what I thought was the brilliant idea of not bothering to write a script, sitting through two takes of the newscast, writing three course evaluations, and finally being allowed to get out of there and start drinking.

Phew.

I showed up at my parents' house last night in a zombie-like stupor, looking and probably smelling like the living dead. I'm not even going to tell you what I had due on the other days of last week. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone fainting.

And yet I love it. I had a fantastic year. I learned more than I thought it was humanly possible to learn in such a short period of time. I found out I really like a lot of things I didn't expect to like, such as local news and radio producing. I met a lot of awesome people. 

If I could pick a year of my life to repeat over and over a la groundhog day, I think it would be 2008. There would be that unfortunate four month stretch where I hustled heaters and salt chlorinators at Pioneer Family Pools, but it would start with partying in Laos and end with my first term at Carleton. I would be 23 forever. Not bad.

I'm excited about next year. I'm excited about the summer. I'm excited about my life in general, and the career path I've chosen. I am stubbornly optimistic that it will not end with me being evicted from not being able to pay the bills by freelancing and having to move back in with my parents at age 29.

Life is good. The future is bright. Happy April.

No comments: